Recreation Facility Plan
Project Date: August-October, 2005
Project Manager:Thea Agnew and Chris Beck
Client:City of Bethel
Bethel is the growing hub of the Yukon-Kuskokwim delta, a thriving region that is home to over 20,000 people. Foremost in the goals listed in Bethel’s 1997 Comprehensive Plan are desires to continue to expand and stabilize the City’s economy, and to expand opportunities for healthy recreation where community members can mix with one another, strengthening the already strong bonds that tie the community together. The proposed Multi-Use Recreation Center is intended to become a vital center that enhances Bethel’s social and economic well-being.
The goal of this project is to prepare a multiuse recreation facility plan for the community of Bethel, Alaska. Input on the use and design of the facility will be gathered from a broad, diverse group of residents and visitors to develop a facility plan. Two community-wide workshops and two planning team meetings will be conducted to gather public ideas and opinions over the course of three months. At the project’s conclusion, the report will be presented to the Bethel City Council. The facility plan will incorporate ideas from the public for the multi-use facility to improve the Bethel economy in a significant and long lasting way (e.g., by making portions of the facility available for lease to businesses).
The plan will be sufficient to lead to the design of the building and then to its construction.
Public Participation Notices
Planning Team Meeting #2
- Monday, October 3, 2205 – 12:00 – 2:00 PM, City Council Chambers, Bethel City Hall
Planning Team Flyer (71 KB)
Second Community Workshop
- Monday, October 17, 2005 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM, Location to be announced
Facility Plan Presentation
- Tuesday, October 25, 2205 – City Council Chambers, Bethel City Hall
- Community Workshop Notes (48 KB)
- Planning Team Notes (48 KB)
- The following two spreadsheets provide very initial concepts for the facility. These need to be thoroughly reviewed and refined in terms of operations and construction costs. The first spread sheet outlines costs of a facility with the most popular and desired functions, the second is the same but without a theater and air rifle range included.
Space Needs Spreadsheet-1(44 KB)
Space Needs Spreadsheet-2(44 KB)
- Schedule (426 KB)
If you would like to comment on the Bethel Multi-Use Recreation Facility Plan, download our Comment Form.